Photobucket

8.16.2012

Goodbye Processed Foods!!

As you know I've been trying to lose weight and have been working out.  I have also been tracking my calories with MyFitnessPal. Right now I am down almost 30lbs since January.  It has been a long and tiring year but also amazing and I'm loving my results. Since I've been tracking everything I eat/drink I've become more aware of ingredients.  We made a big decision that would change our eating habits, most of the time.
The hubby and I have decided that it was time to change and we needed to treat our bodies better.  We're eating clean!  We eased into it so we wouldn't 1: be overwhelmed 2: throw out all of our current food.  Just in case you haven't heard about Clean Eating it's basically cutting out the processed foods.  So no more than 5 ingredients on a label.  Sounds pretty easy, right?  Well it can be but it's very time consuming at the grocery store reading every label before putting it the cart.  To be honest the first few times I went shopping I wanted to throw in the towel and go back to grabbing my normal items.  I had to remind myself we were doing this for a great reason: treating our bodies better and starting our girls with healthy food.  I quickly learned to bring snacks to the grocery store to keep the girls happy so I could take my time reading labels.  Now when I go I know what is clean, for the most part, and what isn't so I can just go down the aisles and grab what I need.  Something that also helped was meal planning so I knew exactly what I was getting for us that week.  Now meal planning is an entirely different post but my FAVORITE blog that I found to be a HUGE help is 100 Days Of Real Food.  She even has a few weeks of meal plans. Go Like her Facebook Page so you can get free meal plans. 
We've been eating clean for a couple months now and we're still not 100% there.  Like I said it's a process and we're about 90/10, so not too bad.  Throughout this process I've noticed that the girls enjoy more veggies and are willing to try them instead of just saying no.  I've even noticed that I'm more open to trying new things.  For example the other night I made a Blueberry Balsamic Pork Tenderloin (recipe here) and it was pretty good.  I am NOT a fan of balsamic vinegar even hubby was amazed that I wanted to make it. 

Are you a clean eater?  If so, what made you decide to start eating clean?  Do you have any tips for a beginner like us?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...